Anytime Fitness is a chain of 24/7 gyms found around the world. Find out how Anytime Fitness works today in our review.
What Is Anytime Fitness?
Anytime Fitness was founded in 2002 as a 24/7 health and fitness club. Today, the company has over 3,000 franchised locations in 20 countries worldwide. All gyms are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Anytime Fitness is headquartered in Woodbury, Minnesota. Gyms can be found across the United States, Canada, Australia, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Poland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
Anytime Fitness gyms aren’t owned and operated by the central company. Instead, individual owners operate each franchised location. Some owners manage multiple gyms in one city, while others just operate a single gym.
Your monthly Anytime Fitness membership gives you access to gyms all over the world. Gyms are individually owned, but there’s a central company tracking your subscription worldwide.
Because Anytime Fitness locations are owned by different people, each one comes with unique membership programs, prices, and subscription policies. Reviews can also vary widely between locations.
The Anytime Fitness Experience
Anytime Fitness locations vary widely in terms of features, policies, and membership options. Each location is owned by a different person. The quality of the gym depends entirely on the people running it.
That being said, most Anytime Fitness locations have some common features, including:
- New equipment and machines (the vast majority of Anytime Fitness locations were opened within the last 5 to 10 years)
- Fast and free wireless internet access
- 24/7/365 availability
- Personal training sessions available for an extra fee
- Free 7 day trial available
- Flexible membership options, including monthly, 6 month, and 12 month options (monthly options not available at all locations)
- Access to gyms around the world
- Wireless key fob that gives you access to any Anytime Fitness anywhere in the world any day of the year
Anytime Fitness locations have similar gym equipment and machines to most other gyms in the world today.
You can expect to find all of the usual pieces, including treadmills, ellipticals, exercise cycles, stair climbers, rowing machines, free weights, racks, Synergy 360 systems, cable crossovers, kettlebells, lateral x trainers, and AMT crosstrainers.
Some locations also have additional features, including tanning, adaptive motion trainers, spin classes, zumba classes, cardio classes, body conditioning classes, and yoga classes.
Your local Anytime Fitness gym may offer one of these sessions for free, but after that you’ll need to pay.
Opening An Anytime Fitness Franchise
There are 3,000 Anytime Fitness franchises located around the world. That number has sharply risen in recent years. In 2015, Entrepreneur ranked Anytime Fitness as the #1 top global franchise. The company won that award again in 2016.
Forbes also ranked Anytime Fitness as the world’s fastest growing health club franchise in 2014. Other stats of owning an Anytime Fitness franchise, according to the official website, include:
- $135,300 average EBITDA before salaries
- Initial franchise fee of $37,500
- Total estimated upfront investment of $101,245 to $490,100
- Required liquidity of $100,000 and required net worth of $300,000
- Average net profit estimated at $100,300
- Average total revenue estimated at $436,400
Overall, the company prides itself on being upfront about the costs and expectations of running an Anytime Fitness franchise.
They even break down all of the costs you can expect in your initial business launch, including travel and living expenses, franchise and development fees, and real estates costs.
You can learn more about operating an Anytime Fitness franchise here.
What Do Customers Have To Say About Anytime Fitness?
There are thousands of Anytime Fitness reviews available online. Obviously, Anytime Fitness is competing in a crowded marketplace of gyms around the world – including many others that have joined the “24/7” schedule.
Below, you’ll find a list of pros and cons about Anytime Fitness.
- Friendly staff
- Well-maintained equipment
- New equipment at most locations
- 24/7/365 access
- Clean gyms
- Reasonable prices (average monthly rate is around $40 USD per month)
- Membership plans vary between locations (some charge an activation fee, while others don’t; some charge cancellation fees, while others don’t)
- Some locations charge additional fees, like a yearly “equipment upgrade fee” that gets put towards buying new equipment for the gym
Should You Sign Up For Anytime Fitness?
Obviously, reviews vary around the world. Some Anytime Fitness locations are amazing, while others are awful. It depends entirely on the quality of the staff and the management team.
Before you sign up for Anytime Fitness, make sure you check reviews for your local Anytime Fitness.
Don’t forget: your membership also gives you access to Anytime Fitness locations across your city and around the world, so if you don’t like a particular gym, you might find another close by without needing to cancel your membership.